Saturday, September 18, 2010

Westport Birding

What a beautiful day to explore the ocean's edge for birds and other wildlife. I took a guided walk through Massachusetts Audubon on their property along Horseneck Beach.These clouds along the horizon were so gorgeous!


 Then I saw these Double Crested Cormorants drying their wings.

 

As we continued down a dirt pathway, we spotted a large group of Great Egrets, Snowy Egrets and Glossy Ibis. The Ibis are the darker birds to the left of the Egrets.


This part of the pathway provided us with some beautiful views of the marsh land, filled with beautiful colors.


There were butterflies everywhere. I was lucky enough to get a nice shot of a Monarch.


As I walked back to the car, along the beach, 
I spotted this single shorebird - not real sure the actual species.
ETA - I just figured out that this is a Buff Breasted Sandpiper.
Another bird to add to my life list!

3 comments:

Sue Bleiweiss said...

gorgeous photos Vicki and that first one is spectacular!

Vicki said...

Thank you, Sue! As soon as I arrived at the ocean and stopped to see those cormorants on the rock, I was just amazed at the beautiful cloud formations. I loved the darker grey areas, followed by wisps and then beautiful blue sky.

This time of year creates thermals, which provided lots of hawks to congregate high in the sky. We saw several groups of turkey vultures, red-tail hawks, and cooper hawks, all hovering way, way up with what looked like swallows joining them. It was a great day!

Beth said...

Wonderful pictures Vicki and I LOVE your felted piece. The last photo would make a great piece of art with all that texture.