Thursday, September 23, 2010

New Felt - Whooping Crane and Chick


I finished my felted and stitched Whooping Crane and Chick. The felt background consists of hand-dyed merino with a pineapple fiber from Habu Textiles, embedded for texture and to represent the dried grasses in the terrain that Whooping Cranes nest. I also dyed some Tencel fiber using MX Reactive dyes and then needle felted it to the lower edge of the composition to give the illusion of water. The images of the mother bending down to feed her chick, were hand stitched using DMC floss. This will now get mounted and prepared for framing in a shadow box frame. I plan to use this new work as one of my entries for the Massachusetts-Rhode Island juried Surface Design Association member show.

5 comments:

Sue Bleiweiss said...

Vicki this is a gorgeous piece!

Marjorie said...

So beautiful Vicki!

Beth said...

Vicki, Don't know how I ended up on your blog but wanted to say your Whoooping Crane and chick are fabulous! I have turned into a bird lover in the last year and love photographing nature. Maybe I'll get to another class this year. Beth P in NJ

Beth said...

http://bethspcgallery.blogspot.com/

Judy said...

fabulous!

xo