Friday, August 20, 2010

Shorebirds at Horseneck Beach


I had such a great time birding at Horseneck Beach on Thursday, August,19th. I saw numerous species of shorebirds and was able to get some pretty good shots of them, not to mention the beautiful sunset! One shorebird that I wasn't able to get a picture of (no thanks to the man running along the beach) which is one to add to my Life List is the Whimbrel. it is a fairly large bird with a beautiful long slightly curved beak to it. I enjoyed watching it probe into the sand for food.

Black-bellied Plover


Sanderlings
Semipalmated Plover
Willet
Immature Common Tern





3 comments:

Cheryl Rezendes said...

Lovely pics Vicki. Thank you.

Judy said...

Great pictures Vicki!
You know, I grew up on the south shore of Mass, and my high school beau and I used to send long, luxurious days at Horseneck Beach....of course back then I wasn't into birding! I love your shots of the birds. I too admire waterfowl, and love watching them when we get to the coast.

xo

Beth said...

More wonderful images. The ocean is our mother.