Tuesday, April 20, 2010

New Felt - "Iceland 2010"























I was busy in the studio last Saturday and really enjoyed making this piece of felt that was inspired by the recent eruption of the volcano in Iceland. The left image shows how my wool looked before I felted it. I laid down several colors of my hand-dyed merino wool, along with wool nubs that I dyed and added for texture. I am so delighted with the finished work, seen on the right, The finished size is about 11 inches square. I plan to frame this in a shadowbox frame, like my other felt pieces. Slowly but surely, I am building up a body of work that I can submit to galleries for a possible one person exhibition. I plan to make another piece of felt, but larger in scale. So, please visit soon for the next in this series.

1 comment:

Beth said...

It IS fabulous. Iceland is one of my favorite countries -love that ice. I can really sense the ash and fire.. The nubs are perfect for that piece.