Thursday, April 08, 2010

My new online interest - Live Bird Cameras!!!


Many of you who know me are aware that I am an avid bird watcher. Last week I discovered that Ustream.com has numerous live cameras of birds nesting, all around the United States.

My all time favorite has to be The Owl Box, in San Marcos, California. This live video cam shows the life of Molly, a Barn Owl, and her four owlets. I have learned so much about the daily life of a Barn Owl and the raising of little owlets. Watching each of them grow, day by day, developing in size and new habits has been a very rewarding experience, and sometimes very comical.

Carlos and Donna, the owners of this camera, are to be commended for their interaction with local elementary schools and educating the children on the lives of Barn Owls.

There are recorded videos for anyone to watch and see the earlier stages of Molly and her family. If you are real lucky, you might even see McGee, the dad, arrive with some dinner for the pantry, such as mice, moles, possum and rabbits. Check it out! You'll love it!

A few others I am following are:
Cardinal family in San Antonio, Texas, with thee newly hatched babies
Osprey in Brewster, Massachusetts, building their nest
Eagles in New Jersey
Eagles in California

1 comment:

The Lone Beader® said...

Really cool! I love birds, too, but I don't get many now that I have moved to the city. Although there is a loud Flicker that keeps waking me up every morning! Anyways, will check out the live cams. Cool!