Monday, July 28, 2008

Bead Embroidered Purse - Beginning stages


Bead Embroidered Purse, originally uploaded by minstrel spinner.

I had an incredible opportunity to study with one of my favorite bead artists - Sherry Serafini. Her bead embroidered jewelry and purses are so beautiful and to see them in person was such an honor.

Well, I took a 2 day workshop with her this past weekend at The Bead House in Bristol, RI, which is about a 15 minute drive from my house. The class was wonderful! We discussed everything from design, to bead selection, to the different stitches to create texture.

My embroidery is done on a base of Lacy's Stiff Stuff, on which I did a wash of green fabric paint, so that it was not stark white, if seen in between the beads. Once the embroidery is completed, I will stitch it to the front of a small purse. Right now, I am not sure if my purse will be functional or a work of art to be enjoyed in my living room.

I think I will take a sabbatical from spinning and knitting to complete my purse this week. Stay tuned for more on the progress of my purse.

By the way, have I mentioned how much I love greens and earth colors? LOL!!!

6 comments:

bockstark.knits said...

wow, that's puuurdy!

The Lone Beader said...

I am so jealous! I want to meet Sherri someday!

Denise said...

How is this project coming along? I can't wait to see it finished!
Cheers, Denise

Pakicel said...

Es una autentica joya. Que manos tan maravillosas y que paciencia tan infinita.
Te sigo, me encanta lo que haces.

baste said...

This is magnificent! I, too had a class from Sherry in August. We made pendants. I'm a beginner but have become hooked. I'm so glad to see your work.

Grace said...

Beautiful work. I'm wondering if you posted a photo of the finished piece. I'd love to see it.
Grace