Monday, May 26, 2008

Memorial Day Weekend

What a special day I had on Saturday. In my hometown , there was an annual open barn event at the old H.K. Davis farm, that my sister and I attended. This farm has sentimental memories of my great, great uncle, who used to own the land.

The picture below is the yearling ewe I chose from the group behind her, for the fleece that was being shorn by Kevin Ford. He shears by hand with no electricity.

This picture shows the fleece on the table being skirted to remove the dirty wool. Overall, my fleece was very clean and had little that had to be skirted.
My fleece weighs 5 pounds. I have plans this week to wash it with Orvus paste in preparation for dyeing and then spinning into yarn for a new Fall sweater. I think I am going to knit a shrug with the yarn, which I plan to dye a denim color. I will post the progress of this new and exciting project.

2 comments:

The Lone Beader said...

Interesting pics! I had never seen it done that way before! LOL.

melanie said...

that fleece is cleaner befor washing than mine are after! wow!