Saturday, September 22, 2007

My Birthday Present to Myself


Kromski Minstrel, originally uploaded by vickijensen.

After a long period of soul searching on what I really love to do in my studio, I came to the conclusion that I will always have a passion for beadwork, knitting and working with wool. I have tried numerous projects of working with cloth, but it is usually short-lived, bringing me back to one of the three hobbies above. So for this year's birthday, I decided that I would buy myself a spinning wheel to spin my own yarns to knit with. I taught myself to spin in the late 70's, first buying a Country Craftsman wheel and later an Ashford. With today's numerous selections in wheels, I finally decided on the Kromski Minstrel. The Kromski wheels are made in Poland and imported by New Voyager. I knew I wanted a double treadle wheel, but also wanted a wheel that was beautifully designed. The Minstrel was a perfect choice.

I bought the unfinished model, so I could select my own color finish. I chose an Early American stain and followed that with two coats of tung oil satin finish. I love the way it turned out. The wheel was also very easy to assemble. It has 4 ratios, depending upon the size yarn I want to spin and it treadles very smoothly. Spinning is very relaxing for me, and I look forward to the hours ahead, turning my hand-dyed wool and alpaca in yarns for my knitting. Next weekend, I am planning on dyeing wool roving to spin yarn for a pair of socks, based on one of the articles in the Summer 2007 issue of Spin-Off. Stay tuned for more on this project.

1 comment:

The Lone Beader said...

This is fabulous! What a great gift to yourself:)