Tuesday, June 26, 2007

QSDS

Last week, I went on vacation and attended QSDS (Quilt Surface Design Symposium) in Columbus, OH. I studied with Fran Skiles for the week, discovering numerous techniques for my mixed media textiles. I love the combination of fabric and paper and collage! This new body of work will not be quilts, but textiles that hang from the wall. Some of them are more solid than others, lending themselves to being similar to canvas paintings.








The imagery I am using deals with not only my passion for bird watching, but with the nest being a very important symbol for "the home" - a place of safety, security, sanctuary, love, and family. I hope to discover additional ways of interpreting the nest and bird imagery using the new techniques I discovered last week.

2 comments:

The Lone Beader said...

Vicki, these are beautiful! I love paper & fabrics together, too. And, I also love the bird imagery. Nice job=:)

marion said...

This looks like a really promising start to Something Important...it's looking good.