Monday, August 28, 2006

Dimensional Wool

Here are some step by pictures showing the progress on a new piece of wall art that I am working on. I found this 100% wool fabric at my local fabric store. It has a fairly loose weave structure, so I knew it would full up pretty nicely.

I bought some smooth river rock at A.C. Moore's and randomly placed them under the fabric and tied them with rubber bands, until the whole piece was wrapped.
Then I used WashFast Black 672 and overdyed the whole piece. What happened during the dyeing was that the fabric covering the stones stayed the original size and the remaining fabric shrunk and fulled. After removing the stones and rubber bands, I now have this wonderful dimensional fabric to work on.

My plan is to stuff the shapes lightly with fiberfill, layer it with a piece of black broadcloth and embellish the surface with stitching and beads. As I looked at the piece yesteday in my studio, I felt like I was on hike in the mountains, so I plan to use that thought as I stitch. This will take a while to finish, but I will show its progress over the next couple of weeks.

Saturday, August 05, 2006

Beaded Beads

Here are a couple of beaded beads that I did in a mini-workshop today. The one on the left was shaped over another bead, so you can see part of the color through the spokes. The right-hand one is hollow and has Swarovski pearls in it.

Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Potato Dextrin Cloth

These are two pieces that I did at work this week. I used potato dextrin as a resist, on a pale pink ground cloth. As the dextrin dries, the surface ends up looking like the crackle of traditional batik, only it is water-based and very easy to wash out - unlike wax. I then used PRO Chem's Boysenberry MX 802 in a thickened form to spread over the top and seep down in the crackle lines.

My plans for both of these is to make a small diptych in a Log Cabin type of construction.