Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Memory Quilt

Here is my latest creation - a memory quilt of my adorable nephew, Conner. The pictures were taken off and on this past year, with our first Easter Egg hunt featured here. I scanned the pictures and saved them on my computer. Then I transferred them to fabric that was treated with Bubble Jet Set 2000. The pictures were then sashed with some blue low water immersion dyed cloth. The finished size is 12" x 12".

Wednesday, May 17, 2006

New Jewelry

This lariat was done with 11os, stitching a spiral rope for the lariat part and then stitching Russian Leaves and flowers for the ends. I love this piece, because it can be worn with many different outfits.

This is the finished look of the Dahlia necklace that I posted earlier this year. This ties in the back, with 15os used for the ends, along with Swarovski pearls to embellish them.

This is my Anemone Necklace and is the first bit of bead embroidery on leather that I have tried. The button closure is an enamel button given to me by Laura McCabe.

I will be taking a slight departure from stitching with seed beads, to devote more time in the studio to develop a new body of mixed media artwork. I want to get enough pieces done so that I can apply for a one person show of my work. So, please stop by often to see the progress being made on this new body of work.

Sunday, May 07, 2006

Finished Book Cover



Here is my completed cover for my first altered book. I used 24 guage copper wire and strung on a variety of glass beads that can randomly move from side to side as the viewer is holding the book.

Monday, May 01, 2006

My first altered books



Here I am with my sister, Sue, working on our first altered books. We both had a great weekend together, trying new techniques on each section of pages.

My book, at the bottom, had a window cut out of it and then black acrylic paint applied to the cover and spine.
















I tested one of my decorative papers for the window and then applied copper metallic paint to the cover and spine using a stipple brush.










Here is a gel medium transfer of a hummingbird. I love the soft, almost ethereal look to it. You can also see the test through the transfer, adding more depth to the page, along with little brads for texture.


I also began an altered book from a child's board book. I really like the sturdiness to it and plan to use the rubber stamp to the right as a background on a couple of the pages.

Please visit often to see additional pages in both of these books.